Thursday, March 6, 2008

MARCH

My Grams


Shortly after we got back from the cruise my Grandma started having some problems. Before our cruise, she had to have an emergency surgery to have her gall bladder removed. She had been recovering well, and the hospital could no longer keep her in the extended care facility. We were making plans to move her to a long term care center. I was able to visit her for a while on President's Day, and we had a really nice visit. She was very lucid, and very coherent and we talked about all sorts of things. I asked her if she was ready to die, and she said that she was. So, I said well when you get to heaven will you send me a sign, and she responded "oh, I don't know if I'll go to heaven." She later said "family is the most important thing...take care of your family." She also told me that day that Max always reminded her of a "greek god, with that wavy hair of his." That was the last time I was able to talk with my Grams. She had a major stroke the following day and lost the ability to talk or swallow. My parents and uncles decided that the best option would be to bring her home to my parents house and let her go. So, for the next two weeks we helped my Grams pass into the next life. It was so sad for me to watch, yet I knew it was the right thing to do. I loved her so much and had such special memories of her. I remember staying at her house and eating sizzlean, pokin eggs and tang for breakfast, making boats and floating them down the irrigation ditch, watching Shirley Temple and the Price is Right with her, and of course playing poker and Sorry! She was a special lady, and I miss her.

1 comment:

Mother Bird said...

what about tomoto soup?