Thursday, February 12, 2009

School Daze


You may remember from an earlier post that I began working this year. I was the skill builder at my kids elementary school. In November my Principal informed me that an opening would be coming available in January. The current teacher was getting married, and would be leaving our district. I graduated with a degree in Special Ed back in 1996, and since then I have tried to keep my license current. I really had no intentions of teaching, but the opportunity seemed too good to be true. Part time, mornings, at my kids school, 5 minutes from my house. I mean c'mon. So, I applied and got the job. Ever since then my life has been a whirlwind. Guided reading groups, comprehension strategies, running records, fluency practice, sight words, phonics etc. etc. etc. It has been an adventure to say the least. I am teaching in the "learning lab" or "resource room." I have 6 groups of 3-6 students and each one meets for 1/2 hour. They are all cute kids and I have enjoyed the opportunity.
Best moments so far: Seeing growth and progress. Getting to know the kids and their cute and quirky personalities.
Worst moments so far:
1. Having one student ask me if I was sick.."you look really sick, are you sick?" um no, I'm just fine thanks!
2. Spending an entire week on sequencing...reading, writing, and even a really cool lesson where we sequenced the order to make crackers and peanut butter sandwiches. At the end of the week I asked the students why we made the sandwiches and one response was "um for a snack?" Ugh.

11 comments:

heAtHeR said...

you're a saint,amy! so glad we have wonderful, PATIENT, teachers such as yourself for our kids!

Hillarie said...

Love the "are you sick" comment! Good for you for getting back in the work force.. It seems like it worked out perfectly!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the job. That is really sweet! You are doing EXACTLY what I want to do. I work in a self-contained classroom at my kids school and LOVE IT!!! It has inspired me to get my SPED certification.

My students have told me I look like a vampire....so it could be worse.

Jill said...

Amy--Just found your blog again since the new computer. When Do I get a copy of the family photo, and one of each of the kids????? Grandma Jill. xoxoxoxoxoxo I also love your playlist. I might just have to stay here till all the songs run through. love

liz said...

Question for ya!
So, Preston said their is a "very notty" kid that is in his clas that has to go to skills when he is being extra bad! I then asked him what they do in skills and if he had ever been there. His reply....."HECK NO Mom, you dont know what it is like in skills! They whip you and punch you and tell you you need to be a GOOD KID!" So my question is #1 are you in this "skills" Preston is speaking of? and #2 How much do they pay for that job? I may put in an application, sounds like a great STRESS RELIEVER!

liz said...

Question for ya!
So, Preston said their is a "very notty" kid that is in his clas that has to go to skills when he is being extra bad! I then asked him what they do in skills and if he had ever been there. His reply....."HECK NO Mom, you dont know what it is like in skills! They whip you and punch you and tell you you need to be a GOOD KID!" So my question is #1 are you in this "skills" Preston is speaking of? and #2 How much do they pay for that job? I may put in an application, sounds like a great STRESS RELIEVER!

liz said...

Preston said, "skills" is for the "NOTTY KIDS" I asked him if he had ever been there. his reply, "HECK NO!, Mom if you go to skills they whip and punch you and tell you you need to be a GOOD KID!" So my question is... Do you work in the skills department?...and, are they hiring? sounds like a great stress reliever!

liz said...

So Preston says, "skills is the place you go when you are BAD, they whip you and punch you and tell you to be a GOOD kid!"
HMMM...are they hiring?
Is that the department you work in?

liz said...

WHAT THE HECK!

liz said...

I am wondering....WHY WONT MY COMMENT POST????
DAG NAB COMPUTERS!!!

liz said...

UM, HI AMY!!!
So as you can I am sure obviously see, I gave you a comment OR 2! I kept retyping it thinking it wasnt working for some reason. Uh, then I noticed the heading at top of page that read, "Your comment has been saved and will be visable after blog owner approval." HE HE HE! I am still new at this!!!