Monday, December 22, 2008

Night in Bethlehem

Don't we look authentic?

Grapes, Crackers and Cheese


Figs, Olives, Cheese, Ham, and Bread (close enough)

As we thought of our Christmas traditions, it dawned on me that all of our traditions are tied to extended family. I love all the things we do together, but I thought it would be fun to start some traditions with just our little family. I have also been feeling the importance of focusing on Christ, instead of Santa. So, this year we started our first ever Night in Bethlehem. We dressed in "period" clothing, ate food similar to that time, and read the Christmas Story in Luke 2. In addition, we started a new tradition of opening a Nativity scene. This is a spin off from a tradition my family has done for years of opening a Nutcracker. My dad has been on the hospital board for 20 years, and so every year as their gift they receive a new Nutcracker. As I've grown up, it is always so exciting to see what the Nutcracker would look like this year. Now the Grandkids all get a chance to open it, and it is fun to look forward to. So, instead of a Nutcracker, we will do a Nativity scene.

Nativity Scene 2008

1 comment:

Sandra said...

I really like your take on this..I might have to follow. I think it is a great idea!