Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The cell phone debate

So last year Ali started in on the "I really need/want a cell phone." We listened to the hype for quite a while, and then shortly before Christmas we began the negotiations. If we get a cell phone for you, these are the rules:

First rule: You will pay for it, or you will lose it.
Second rule: Your grades must remain above a B in every class, or you will lose it.
Third rule: You will turn it in at night, or you will lose it.
Fourth rule: You can't text anything inappropriate, or you will lose it.
Fifth rule: If you are disrespectful, you will lose it.

UNFORTUNATELY, We forgot the rule that says: If you text 24/7 during the summer and then the bill comes and it is in the amount of $945.70, then your cell phone will be run over by a truck. What were we thinking? How could we leave this rule out?

Now for all of you childless, or with young children. Stop shaking your head at me. You just wait until your sweet little child is 12 and won't stop begging and pleading and begging and pleading. She has had the phone for 6 months, and has done quite well. I have found that it is a great bargaining tool for me when it comes to chores and homework, and friends. To date, we haven't had any overages.....until now.

So, long story short, Ali needs a job. Quick.


This is Ali on Christmas morning, having just discovered that the incessant ringing coming from under the chair is indeed, the coveted red ryder bbgun. I mean cell phone. Oh what an expensive gift that turned out to be.

9 comments:

Ali said...

amy this is your daughter ali. ahem. i demand you take that post off right this instant or you will suffer!! i cant belive you would embarrass me in front of everyone like that!! and the picture!! i mean seriously!!!!! :) but take it off. now i have to get a job. and i cant text dylan. ugh. and the bill is NOT that much money!! its partly your fault too!!! so for all of my moms friends that are reading this at the moment, im not the devil child that wastes the family money and she says i am. thank you. good bye

mom2four said...

Hey I didn't know that you had a blog. I am glad that you let me know. I am going to learn from your mistake and make sure my kids when they get a cell phone don't text all the time. So atleast someone learned from your mistaek. BTW I am going to add you as a link. And if you read my blog a little more carefully you would of seen that it truely is I that is posing not you!!!!

Sandra said...

Oh AMy...Ali's comment has me in stiches...she is mini-wheeza! I seriously would contemplate strangling my child for a bill nearing $1000 but running over the phone w/ a truck is a close second! Too funny...Ouch on the bill~!

Hillarie said...

That may have been the the funniest thing I have heard in a long time! Holy cow your daughter is a "mini" you! I am not looking forward to the cell phone days... I will enjoy diapers for now! Hill

Amy said...

I must admit my daughter is hysterical...her comment had me in stitches too. Some days I look at her and think "I am raising myself." She left with Max this morning at 5:30 to go work and earn some money. I can't wait to hear what she has to say about that.

Ali said...

ugh mom why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???? and to think yesterday i thought you were cool. and thanks for thinking im my mom everyone

heAtHeR said...

okay that little discussion between you and ali is absolutely hilarious! that, in itself, is reason enough to have a blog! you'll have to print that up and add it to your scrapbook. :)

Ali said...

hey mom.

ha ha am i still going to get my phone back even though what happened last night? cuz i am sorry about that you know.. :)

Rebecca said...

Amy -
It was great seeing you at the Salem Fun Run on Sat. I am laughing at this post. Holy cow that was some bill! And your daughter is a funny (and clever) one! I won't go on and on about how she reminds me of you either (I think I mentioned that in a previous post.) Funny stuff! Glad you can do the teenager thing for all of us 1st and we can learn from you!