Saturday, August 23, 2008

WE DID IT!

A few years ago I started running for fun/exercise. We did a few 5K's and a few 10K's, and this year we thought it would be fun to try a half-marathon. Max and I signed up for the Hobble Creek Half Marathon. My sis-in-law Heidi also signed up, so the three of us have been comparing training runs all summer long. I printed out a guide from runnersworld.com and I have followed it to the letter. I didn't sleep a wink last night, checking my clock every hour to be sure we didn't sleep in. Finally at 4:15, I just got up and started getting ready. It was still dark when we arrived in the park and began loading the bus. After a long, quiet ride up the canyon, we were dropped off to wait...and wait...and wait. It was a chilly morning, and we had nothing but time on our hands. FINALLY, after an hour and a half wait, and 3 months of training, it was time to start! The race course was gorgeous, and thankfully had a nice downhill to it. I felt great until about 10 miles when the sun came up, and the course leveled out. I started to lag a little until about mile 12. When I realized how close I was, the adrenaline started kicking in and I picked up the pace a little. It was awesome to see my family at the finish line, and to know that I had set a goal, and accomplished it. Who knew I could actually run 13.1 miles? My time was 2 hours 10 minutes...a little slower than hoped but happy just the same. Max finished in 2 hours 6 minutes and Heidi my rockin sister in law finished in 1 hour 54 minutes! Can't wait until next year!

The finish line is in sight, about another 20 steps!

Three tired, sweaty, but very proud runners!

Max and Me

Aaron and Heidi....notice how he isn't all sweaty? He just came to cheer us on this year, maybe next year we can get him to join us!

7 comments:

Kindy said...

Hey you! Glad you found me! I need to update my blog - I got a lashing from my brother in NYC. It was good to see you, too! Go ahead and link me! I did finally get my money back, but had to make a couple of phone calls...

Hillarie said...

Amy-
That is awesome! good for you! Love your posts, I always get a good laugh when reading them!

Mother Bird said...

Amy, you need some music on your blog.

Sandra said...

Congrats Amy! I was MIA at that event..I think I may have picked up a parasite from Mexico and have been at the toliet for a week now...needless to say I wasn't able to run and am so sad and still sooooo sick.

Lesa said...

Amy, Hey its Lesa! I want to add you to my blaag. I want to do that race next year soo bad.Several of my friends did it this year and loved it too. I hear the down hill helps a little so I think it would be a good "first" half marathon for me next year. We will see after I pop this 4th and final baby out if I can ever even walk again. So good to see you and your family.Lesa

Rebecca said...

Amy - that is awesome that you did a half! I admire that and might have to try one myself - sounds like Springville is the one to try but to sign up early for it as it fills fast. Great job and time!!!!

Suzanna said...

You go girls and max. I could never do it.